Table of Contents
If I could pick only one appetizer to serve at a party or on your Thanksgiving table, it would be these bacon wrapped dates that are stuffed with creamy goat cheese. I’m sure you’ve had a variation of them before, but if not, you’re in for a seriously delicious appetizer or snack that’s both sweet and savory.
And listen, if you’re new to hosting, then I must tell you that snacks and appetizers are a MUST during any kind of party or holiday. Your guests are bound to be a little hungry before you serve a meal, so it’s important you have a few things available for them to nosh on beforehand.
It’s also important to recognize that sometimes things happen and meal times get delayed. I can’t tell you how many times my cooking or prep times have changed and I’ve had to make sure my guests weren’t left starving and digging through my cupboards for a snack.
FREE Ultimate Thanksgiving Guide (+ printable checklist!)
Whether you’re hosting or just attending, this Ultimate Thanksgiving Guide email series is for everyone. Enter your email below to get all of my best recipes, tips, and a FREE printable checklist for all of your Thanksgiving needs.
Ingredients in bacon wrapped dates
These easy, bacon wrapped goat cheese stuffed dates aren’t only adorable, but also SO DELICIOUS. Each date is stuffed with dark chocolate + goat cheese then closed and wrapped in a half slice of bacon. I like to glaze my bacon with a little pure maple syrup and a sprinkle of cayenne pepper because hello, sweet and spicy is everything! Here’s what you need to make them:
- Goat cheese: we’re not just wrapping these babies in bacon, we’re also stuffing them with creamy goat cheese. YUM! Feel free to use cream cheese or a dairy free cream cheese if you’d like.
- Dark chocolate: this is optional, but a little piece of rich dark chocolate snuggled in the goat cheese layer takes these dates to the next level.
- Bacon: each date is wrapped in about a half piece of savory thick cut bacon that crisps up and tastes amazing.
- Dates: you’re going to use medjool dates for the delicious, sweet element to the recipe.
- Maple syrup: a little drizzle of pure maple syrup on each bacon wrapped dates adds a wonderful sweetness that pairs with the savory bacon.
- Cayenne pepper: if you like a little sweet & spicy add a pinch of cayenne! This is optional, so if you’re sensitive to spice simply omit.
How to make goat cheese stuffed dates wrapped in bacon
- Prep your dates. You”ll simply split each one in half (without breaking it apart) and remove the pit if it has one.
- Add the filling. Add a small piece of dark chocolate inside your date. Spread a little goat cheese and close it up. Do this with all of your dates.
- It’s bacon time! Cut your bacon strips in half and carefully wrap each half around one of the dates. Place the dates on a large, prepared baking sheet so that the bacon is seam-side down to help them stay together.
- Jazz em up. Brush each date with a little maple syrup and sprinkle cayenne if you like a kick of heat. Then, add a toothpick to keep them together.
- Bake & serve. Finally, bake the dates for 10 minutes, flip, bake again, and enjoy!
Tips for making bacon wrapped dates
- Double check and make sure your dates do not have the pit inside. If they do, once you’ve split your date simply pull the pit right out.
- Be careful when splitting your dates apart – they’re soft and you want to make sure you don’t break them in half.
- Use a sheet pan with edges and line it with parchment paper so that the bacon grease doesn’t spill everywhere.
- Be sure not to overfill your dates as the filling may leak out.
- Remember to place your goat cheese stuffed dates seam-side down so that the bacon doesn’t come off. You can also use a toothpick to secure it (as pictured).
Have fun with different fillings! These sweet & spicy bacon wrapped dates would be delicious with:
- Savory blue cheese
- A spicy cheese
- Cream cheese
- Prosciutto instead of bacon if you prefer it
- Or even try some crunch from nuts like almonds in the middle!
Make them ahead of time
Feel free to assemble the bacon-wrapped dates completely and then store them in an airtight container in the fridge the day before you’d like to serve them. On the day of, simply bake as directed.
How to store bacon wrapped goat cheese stuffed dates
If you happen to have any leftovers, simply store these bacon wrapped stuffed dates in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days.
I love serving these bacon wrapped goat cheese stuffed dates during the holidays or for football parties. Either way, they’re bound to be a HUGE hit! Seriously, everyone always asks me for the recipe.
More holiday apps to try
Get all of my appetizer recipes here and my Thanksgiving recipes here!
I hope you love these bacon wrapped dark chocolate & goat cheese stuffed dates! If you make them be sure to leave a comment and a rating so I know how you liked them. Enjoy, xo!
Bacon Wrapped Dark Chocolate + Goat Cheese Stuffed Dates
Total Time 1 hour 5 minutes
Sweet and savory bacon wrapped dark chocolate & goat cheese stuffed dates make a fun, delicious appetizer to serve a crowd. These easy bacon wrapped dates have hints of dark chocolate, creamy goat cheese, and crispy bacon. They’re guaranteed to impress guests!
squares 72% dark chocolate, chopped into pieces (this is optional)
(12 ounce) package bacon
- For the glaze:
- Cayenne pepper
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. You’ll want to make sure your baking sheet has some edges, as the bacon does produce lots of grease when cooked.
Split each date in half without breaking them fully apart. Make sure the pit is fully removed and discarded from the date if it already isn’t.
Add a small piece of dark chocolate to your opened date. Spread a small amount of goat cheese mixture inside, and press together to close your date. Repeat with all of your dates.
Next, cut your strips of bacon in half. Take one date and wrap ½ piece of bacon around it. Repeat this step until each date is wrapped in ½ slice of bacon.
Place all bacon-wrapped dates on large baking sheet with the bacon seam side down.
Brush each bacon wrapped date with a little maple syrup. Sprinkle cayenne pepper on each date (use more if you like spicy flavors, and omit or only use a small pinch if you do not like spicy flavors). Stick a toothpick into each date.
Bake in the oven for 10 minutes, then turn date on its side so that the toothpick is parallel to the baking sheet. Bake for 10 more minutes. Then flip dates to other side and bake again for 10 minutes or until bacon is slightly golden brown. Transfer to a plate to cool. Serve immediately. Serves 10, 2 bacon-wrapped dates each.
To store: if you happen to have any leftovers, simply store these bacon wrapped stuffed dates in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days.
Make them ahead of time: assemble the bacon wrapped dates completely and then store them in an airtight container in the fridge the day before you’d like to serve them. On the day-of, simply bake as directed.
Servings: 10 servings
Serving size: 2 dates
Saturated fat: 2.7g
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen Photography by: Yoga of Cooking
This post was originally published on November 16th, 2018, republished on November 23rd, 2020, and republished on November 9th, 2022.