In this recipe, you will be cooking a skinless chicken, this is quite good for you because with the skin removed the chicken will now have a fewer calories since the skin has higher calorie content compared to the meat of the chicken. Remember, you are also cooking salad that can go with the chicken, so better buy fresh vegetables in the market. Fresh vegetables still contain their nutrients unlike the old ones that lose some of its nutrient value once it is almost withered. Here is the recipe for Greek Salad with Grilled Chicken.
• 1/4 cup fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
• 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• 2 teaspoons olive oil
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 1 lb boneless skinless chicken
• 8 cups romaine lettuce, torn
• 1 cup cucumber, sliced
• 8 kalamata olives, pitted and halved
• 4 plum tomatoes, quartered lengthwise
• 2 slices red onions, 1/4 inches thick (separate into rings)
• 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
Cooking the Food:
1. Prepare heating up the grill or broiler. If you are using an electric grill then it would be easy to prepare it, but if the electric grill is not available then you can use the common grill and add some medium sized coal then burn it red hot.
2. In a bowl, mix the ingredients fat-free low-sodium chicken broth, red wine vinegar, sugar, dried oregano, olive oil, salt, fresh ground pepper and garlic clove. Mix it well so that the ingredients are combined together. When done, brush the dressing on the chicken; 2 tablespoons will be enough to cover the chicken.
3. After doing the coating, put the chicken on the grill, you can use a cooking spray if you want but it depends on you if you want to add some oils. Cook for 5 minutes. When the time has passed, turn the chicken over to the other side and cook for another 5 minutes or until the chicken is done.
4. When the chicken is done, place it on a clean plate and cut it into ¼ inch thick slices. Set it aside. You will use this as a topping later, you can now proceed to the next step when you are ready.
5. In a large bowl, add the lettuce, cucumber, kalamanta olives, plum tomatoes, and red onions. Toss the vegetables well until they are mixed. When done, divide the salad evenly on 4 plates and top each with chicken and cheese. You are done.
This recipe contains 28% calories, 23% sodium, and 59% protein. Since you are using a skinless chicken as a an ingredient, the calorie would be lower because the skin of the chicken has a greater number of calories compared to the chicken meat. You can even lessen your sodium intake by applying little of the salt or replace it with low sodium soy sauce. Eat well and strengthen your body with the nutrients it needs.