I can not say for certain exactly where dishes like Tomatoes and Rice originated, but if I experienced to guess, I’d say out of necessity. And that was probably the require to feed lots of mouths for not a good deal of revenue.
Just like my Macaroni and Tomatoes, dishes like this have stood the check of time and usually do wonders at reminding us of our childhoods. I assume it’s so entertaining, as well, to see how a dish with primary ingredients alterations as we shift all-around the country or even close to the globe. From this essential Tomatoes and Rice to the purple rice of the low state, to tomato-centered jambalaya in Louisiana, to Spanish rice, to Portuguese tomato rice, to Mexican rice, to Jollof rice, to tomato fried rice. It is wonderful to see how uncomplicated elements like rice and tomatoes can transform into recipes that have so a lot scrumptious variation.
My model is speedy, quick and filled with great flavor. It is quite dang excellent warmed up the following day, far too.
As with a host of other classically Southern dishes, this one particular commences with a tiny bacon grease. And while you can surely exchange that with olive or vegetable oil, I would strongly recommend against it. The taste of this dish is built on the blend of the smoky flavors from the bacon grease and the tangy acid from the tomatoes. In fact, I’d say it is in all probability really worth cooking a batch of bacon just to get the grease to make this.
The dish is flexible, also. I necessarily mean, there are tons of variants of the recipe out there. I have heard of individuals crumbling bacon into it, including cooked floor beef, even shredded cooked rooster, and turning it into an entire meal. The magnificence is that when you get the principles correct, you can have exciting tailoring it to go well with your flavor.
A couple of points to be aware:
I use very long-grain rice in this dish. Employing rice of a unique dimensions will alter the cook dinner time. Be absolutely sure to verify the guidance on the package if you really do not use the identical measurement rice. Overcooked rice can get very mushy and no one likes undercooked crunchy rice.
Really don’t drain the tomatoes. The juice in the can aids include additional flavor.
You can use fresh new tomatoes in this dish, if you desire. I’d use 3 to 4 chopped tomatoes and recommend including them to the pan correct immediately after the garlic and cooking them for 5 to 10 minutes just before incorporating the broth and rice.
And just a reminder: Bacon grease is necessary to obtaining the flavors suitable in this one particular. If dietary limits hold you from working with pork products, I’d suggest looking at some of the bacon- and ham-flavored seasonings on the sector so you can get that smoky flavor this dish desires. Quite a few of them are pork-cost-free or even fully meat-free.
Tomatoes and Rice
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Serves: 6 to 8
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease
- 1 medium sweet onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups hen broth
- 1 (28-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups prolonged-grain white rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a massive pot with a limited-fitting lid, soften the bacon grease more than medium-high warmth.
- Increase the onions and cook dinner until finally translucent and tender.
- Include the garlic and prepare dinner for 1 minute.
- Insert the chicken broth and tomatoes.
- Deliver to a boil.
- Include the rice and stir properly.
- Add salt to taste.
- Minimize the warmth to a very low simmer and go over.
- Prepare dinner for 20 to 25 minutes or until eventually tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Switch off the warmth and let the rice to relaxation for an extra 5 minutes to allow the remaining liquid to be absorbed.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and provide.