Salt fish and rice is a blend that has been cooked in different iterations throughout the Caribbean for several, quite a few decades. Considered as soul food items, ease and comfort food stuff, peasant meals, it is 1 of the most beloved pairings by West Indians of all races and strata of culture.
Contemplate the adhering to:
· Shine rice with bits of salt fish cooked in the rice with coconut milk or fried crisp and served on top of the glistening rice.
· Fried salt fish and rice with a pair wiri-wiri peppers ok insert a lil dhal and you are licking your fingers.
· Privilege – a Barbadian ole time dish of rice cooked with salt fish and okra and a piece of salt meat.
· Black-eye rice and salt fish – this is one more ole time Barbadian dish of black-eye peas and rice with salt fish cooked into the dish or frizzled and fried crisp to top the rice.
Anywhere you go in the region, there is some kind of cooked-up dish of rice and salt fish, just as there is with rice and peas.
Several many years in the past, while on a journey abroad and browsing a Thai restaurant, I noticed on the menu, Salted Fish Fried Rice. There was no issue about what I was going to purchase. The photograph of the dish on the menu was equally appealing and appetizing – fluffy rice with bits of salt fish, eggs, sliced scallions, and finely chopped Chinese broccoli (which is unique from the additional common big flower-head broccoli). The dish arrived and it did not disappoint. It was unbelievably delectable and total of umami flavour from the dried fish the vegetables extra freshness and lightness to the dish. It was a unforgettable food.
Over the yrs, I have manufactured it a several moments and truthfully, largely only when I have soaked salt fish to make other items and figure that it’s way too a great deal for the dish I am creating (the salt fish that is). Very well, that is just what transpired the other day. I soaked salt fish to make some Bajan fish cakes. The piece of salt fish was substantial, so I established apart some and decided to make Salt Fish Fried Rice considering that there was leftover rice as effectively.
Salt Fish Fried Rice is a fusion of Chinese and Thai cuisine. In Chinese restaurants (largely exterior of the Caribbean) the salt fish is normally combined with rooster. This adds one more style variable to mixed Fried Rice. On Chinese menus it would be Cantonese Rooster & Salted Fish Fried Rice.
The recipe I am sharing with you now – which is my adaptation of the dish – is created up of rice, salt fish, vegetables, and a couple of aromatics. I just wished the comprehensive flavour of the salt fish to
occur as a result of so I did not increase eggs or rooster, but you can certainly do so if you like – slash the hen up into compact chunks.
You know, one particular of the many factors I really like Fried Rice so a lot is that you can make it with pretty much everything and due to the fact it is so flavourful and filling on its personal, even if you just make it with greens. Alternatively of vegetable fried rice, Spanish rice or one particular of the numerous other rice dishes you would provide on Sundays, I invite you to consider making this model of fried rice as aspect of the meal tomorrow and explain to me what you assume.
Salt Fish Fried Rice
• 3 – 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 2 tablespoons finely minced ginger
• 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
• Minced sizzling pepper to flavor
• 1 cup finely sliced bora or 1½ cups defrosted eco-friendly peas
• 1 cup diced carrots
• Salt and pepper to flavor
• ½ pound boneless de-salted salt fish, shredded to smaller
bits (extra if you like)
• ½ cup chopped sweet peppers, range of colours if
• 6 cups cooked rice
• Soy sauce
• 1½ teaspoons toasted sesame oil
• ½ cup thinly sliced scallions/environmentally friendly onions
1. Include oil to a large pan and heat until finally scorching but not smoking cigarettes.
2. Toss in ginger, garlic and warm pepper and prepare dinner for 1 moment or until eventually aromatic.
3. Include bora/peas and carrots season with salt and pepper to style and cook dinner for 2 minutes.
4. Incorporate salt fish, toss to blend with greens and cook dinner for 2 – 3 minutes.
5. Incorporate sweet peppers and rice, toss to mix, season with soy sauce and sesame oil and keep tossing. Style for seasoning and modify if necessary. Prepare dinner for 3 – 4 minutes or until finally the rice is sizzling and totally heated by means of.
6. Serve garnished with scallions/green onions.
• Eggs, and chicken work very well with the salt fish so you can incorporate these to the fried rice if you like.
• You can use Chinese 5-spice powder in this article as well but do so flippantly.